Soft, fluffy and chewy and yet perfectly crispy on the edges, these eggless chocolate chip cookies are the ultimate indulgence!
Whether you’re eliminating eggs from your diet or you simply don’t have them on hand, this eggless chocolate chip cookie recipe stands out from the rest.
Cookie lovers can agree that having a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe in their line-up is imperative. It’s a comforting classic and the favorite of many.
Because eating the cookie dough straight from the bowl is also a comfort food classic, this eggless edible cookie dough recipe is even more brilliant. Just like this edible cookie dough, it makes you feel a touch less guilty about snacking straight from the dough bowl.
However, there are also times when baking without eggs is necessary! Whether it’s simply a low stock in your fridge or because a family member must eliminate eggs from their diet, this eggless chocolate chip cookie recipe is the perfect solution!
About These Cookies
Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies might not be as common as the original, but they are just as delicious. This eggless chocolate chip cookie recipe captures all those same classic flavors, but eliminates the egg.
This not only makes them allergy friendly if your family avoids eggs, it also gives you a great baking option if you’re simply out of eggs and can’t run to the store!
The eggs are replaced with a touch of cream cheese. It’s the best solution and makes for an incredible cookie, leaving you with a moist, delicious bite!
Why Cream Cheese?
Cream cheese makes an excellent substitute for eggs in cookies. Not only does it act as a binding agent just like the eggs, but it adds a distinctive, craveable layer of flavor you’re going to love!
Tools You Need
- Large Cookie Scoop – It’s not required, but yields consistent cookies, which also means they’ll bake evenly rather than under-baking some and over-baking others. 1¾ scoop is ideal.
- Mixer – Stand mixer or hand mixer (or mix together by hand)
- Rubber Spatula – For folding in chocolate chips!
- Cookie Sheet or Flat Baking Sheet – A traditional cookie sheet has no sides, allowing you to slide cookies off without ruining their shape after baking. However, a flat baking sheet works as well if that’s what you have! A lighter colored sheet tends to create a more balanced and evenly baked cookie.
- Parchment Paper – Parchment is easy to clean-up.
- Cooling Rack – While not completely necessary, it’s nice to remove your cookies to a cooling rack so air can circulate and they won’t continue to cook on the sheet!
What You Need to Make Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies
This easy recipe uses staple ingredients!
- All Purpose Flour – Use your favorite all purpose flour for this recipe, unbleached generally works well.
- Salt – To bring out other flavors in this recipe.
- Baking Soda – A leavening agent to create the rise and soft texture in these eggless chocolate chip cookies.
- Baking Powder – Yes, two leaveners! The addition of baking powder creates a super soft cookie. (Learn more about the difference between Baking Soda and Baking Powder here)
- Unsalted Butter – Softened to room temperature. If using salted butter, omit the salt in this recipe. Learn more about salted vs unsalted butter.
- Cream Cheese – Softened and packed. As with most baking, full fat cream cheese yields the best results.
- Sugar – White granulated sugar.
- Brown Sugar – Light or dark, packed.
- Vanilla Extract – Use real vanilla extract if possible.
- Chocolate Chips – Full sized chocolate chips are best for these cookies to help give these cookies extra body. Semi-Sweet is a classic flavor, but milk chocolate or dark chocolate also work, as well as chocolate chunks.
- Gluten-Free – Use a gluten free flour in a 1:1 ratio to make an eggless chocolate chip cookie recipe without gluten.
- Chocolate Chips – Get creative with your chocolate additions! Try chocolate chunks, dark chocolate, white chocolate, milk chocolate, candies and more!
- Marshmallow Cookies – Stuff dough with marshmallows just before baking!
Overview | How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies without Eggs
The full printable recipe is below
- Combine Dry Ingredients
- Combine Wet Ingredients
- Mix and Fold in Chocolate Chips
- Chill Dough
- Drop and Bake
- Use softened butter and cream cheese. This prevents clumps and helps cookies maintain their shape.
- If possible, chill dough. This helps eggless cookies maintain body.
- Use a cookie scoop for consistent cookie shape and size.
- For picture perfect cookies, insert a few chocolate chips on top of your dough balls just before baking.
- Need to double or triple the recipe? Simply use the 1x2x3x tab in the printable recipe card for ingredient calculations!
Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
They can be frozen in an airtight container up to three months. You can also freeze this eggless chocolate chip cookie recipe prior to baking, as a dough. Scoop the dough into balls, flash freeze on a baking sheet, and then store in an airtight container for up to three months in your freezer. Bake directly from frozen according to directions – they might take a couple minutes longer so watch them closely!
No. This recipe eliminates eggs, which can be helpful for egg allergies, but there is still considerable dairy with butter, cream cheese and chocolate chips.
These eggless chocolate chip cookies should be chilled prior to baking. This helps the dough hold its shape while baking, creating the perfectly soft, moist and decadent cookies we know and love!
Yes, although the CDC also advises against eating raw flour. Be sure to heat treat your flour prior to eating the dough!
Join the cookie club! Receive the best new cookie recipes and tips delivered directly to your inbox!
More Cookie Recipes
- Disappearing Marshmallow Cookies
- Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Cookies n Cream Cookies
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Peanut Butter Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened and packed
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ¾ brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, cream cheese and sugars until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture into butter mixture until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover and refrigerate 30+ minutes, up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop dough balls onto baking sheets.
- Bake 14 minutes or until slightly golden on the edges. Allow cookies to cool 1 minute before transferring to cooling rack.