New Year's Cookies
A delicious fried cookie made from yeast dough, that is tender on the inside, perfectly crispy on the outside, and full of flavorful raisins.
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- 1 packet active dry yeast, (¼ ounce)
- 2 cups raisins
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart vegetable oil, shortening or lard
- ¼ cup powdered or white sugar for dusting
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve sugar in lukewarm water and sprinkle yeast over the top. Wait 10 minutes for yeast to activate or until it appears creamy on top.
Stir raisins into yeast. Add eggs, lukewarm milk, and salt. Beat until just combined.
Gradually add flour. Beat until dough becomes smooth. If dough feels too sticky, beat up to ¼ cup additional flour.
Cover dough and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
Line cookie sheet with paper towels and set wire cooling rack on top. Set aside.
In a large saucepan or fryer, bring oil or lard to 375° F.
Scoop dough by tablespoon and drop, a few at a time, into the hot oil. Fry until lightly browned and drain on cooling racks. Dust or roll in powdered sugar or white granulated sugar.
Optional: drizzle with glaze.
- Be prepared. This recipe moves quickly once dough rises.
- This is a soft and sticky dough. You won’t be able to roll them into perfect little balls after you scoop them. They will have a round-ish shape, but will have some bumps and edges that get extra crispy when fried.
- Shake the sugar and a few cookies at a time together in a brown paper bag for easy coating.
- If the cookies are doughy on the inside yet done on the outside, you'll need to make your cookies smaller or reduce the heat of the oil a little bit.
Room Temperature - Store them at room temperature loosely wrapped with plastic wrap. Reheat in the oven at 375 degrees for a few minutes until they're warm. Then add another coating of sugar.
Freeze - In an airtight freezer bag up to 3 months. Reheat in preheated oven until warm.
Calories: 58kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 1gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 30mgPotassium: 63mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 15IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 4mgIron: 1mg